Monday, March 8, 2010

XL1200S/T, a Sport-Touring Sporty, part III

I pulled in to Granite State Harley, parked the great beast up on its sidestand, and walked over to the line of used bikes. Can't help it. . . it's the same reason we troll craigslist, and wander around National Powersports Distributors in Concord. You see something you like, you try it on in your head. "Oooh, I could use this for trips to the beach," or, "Here's a cute little number I could go on SMOG rides with," (Spanish Motorcycle Owner's Group- and if you happen to know of a running Bultaco, let me know). I was feeling a bit of a Luddite about then, so I was cruising down the lineup, checking out air cleaners- or actually, what was peeking out over the tops of the air cleaners. As in- is that a throttle body, or do I see the flat top of a CV carb? I was looking for carbs. A fresh-faced young lad stepped out of the front door and headed over to me. "Anything special you're looking for?" Oh, great, I thought. . . the boys inside have sent the newbie out to see how he does with Hammerwoman.

"Yep, carbs."

"Oh, you know now, fuel injection. . ."

"This isn't something you want to get into with me," I said, well, fairly gently. I gestured toward the building. "Did they send you out to talk to me?"

"Uh, yeah."

"I thought so. Well, my young friend, they're just playing a little joke on you. My name is Gail- they all know me, and they sent you out here just to mess your head up a little." Meanwhile, I was continuing down the line, fuelie, fuelie, fuelie, fuelie. . . oh, look, a flattop, hey, those are piggyback shocks, dual plugged heads, and that tank logo!  "That's an XL1200S- come along, then." I headed inside, with a rather bemused young salesman in tow.

A chorus of "Hey, Gail, what's up?" and general laughter greeted us as we came through the door.

"Can we get a plate on that XL1200S?"

"Of course!" and the young gentleman that had come out to greet me was dispatched for a plate and the proper paperwork. That filled out, I could hear the low rumble of the S's stock exhaust outside. It was a cold day, and I was cautioned to leave the choke out a bit. While the bike warmed up a little more, I looked it over. Basically stock, but with a poofy black seat and a clunky little sissy bar. The bike had obviously been ridden in all weathers and stored outdoors, at least for the riding season. Exhaust clamps were fairly brown, the thinly chromed shock springs somewhat beige, paint chips here and there, new front tire (Dunlop GT502, at least), shagged Super Venom on the back, and the whole thing even dirtier than my bikes usually get. Potato, potato, potato. . . she sat patiently running while I looked her over. Oops, not ready to run without the choke yet, for sure. Don't know if you're going home with me, but if you do, we're going to let you breathe, open up the airbox and exhaust, and rejet. I have no idea how H-D was able to certify this big aircooled motor with a carb, but she's certainly set up wicked lean.

I headed out on their standard test ride, along which I've ridden Dynas, Softails, the XR1200, Tourers, pretty much everything on the floor. This was a bit different, because I was thinking seriously about buying this one. Normally I'm just having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment